The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted

May 22, 2007 at 3:15 PM
Hi,

i followed your instructions in readme.txt to add timesheet tab in teamplain webpage... run sqlscript and copy project to C:\Program Files\devBiz\TeamPlain Web Access\Web and configure web.config file and run specified commandline instruction.

i have installed TFS on a workgroup server not a domain controller or member of domain server.

the timesheet tab has been added to teamplain site but when i navigate timesheet.aspx, i encounter the folloing error:

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x8007054b): The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
]
System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail) +610
System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind() +36
System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject() +31
System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection.PopulateList() +25
System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection..ctor(DirectoryEntry entry, String propertyName) +92
System.DirectoryServices.PropertyCollection.get_Item(String propertyName) +131
Stratman.Web.VSTS.Timesheet.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Temp\Timesheet\Stratman\Web\VSTS\timesheet.aspx.cs:98
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +15
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +34
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061

please help me to resolve my problem
thank you for your timesheet

Eqbal Sajadi
Coordinator
May 22, 2007 at 9:18 PM
Eqbal:

Are you using Windows NT authentication or TFS users to access TeamPlain?

Thanks,
-Luke
May 23, 2007 at 5:37 AM
Hi Luke,

yea.. i'm using Windows NT authentication to access team plain

- Windows server 2003 R2
- SQL Server 2005

Thanks,
Eqbal
Coordinator
May 25, 2007 at 7:07 PM
Eqbal:

Unfortunately, the approaches necessary to use local machine security instead of domain-based security are quite different. It starts with the fact that there is no easy way to do a directory services query to retrieve a user's information based on their SID (unlike using LDAP, where you can just say: LDAP://<SID=...>). So, you need separate branches of code to handle user information retrieval for domain vs. local authentication. This is definitely possible, but unfortunately is not something that I have time to do in the immediate future. However, I would be more than happy to add you as a developer to this project if you think that this is something that you might be interested in contributing.

Sorry that I can't help you more.

-Luke
May 28, 2007 at 9:37 AM
Thank you, I'll waiting for use that feature in future.

and it's my honour to be your developer.

Sincerely
Eqbal.

Jun 4, 2007 at 8:40 PM
I got this to work somewhat on my server by changing some source, but would have to be thought out as to how to put this in the web.config and also needs to have windows authentication turned on for the teamplain web access. Any thoughts on how you might want this done.

Thanks,
Jim
Aug 10, 2007 at 12:14 PM
Hi All.

Can someone email to me the code changes required for use local machine security instead of domain-based security ?
My email - bekinin@gmail.com