TFSTimesheet 1.0 on TeamPlain 2.0 RC

May 23, 2007 at 6:14 AM
May I know whether TFSTimesheet 1.0 can work on Teamplain 2.0 RC please?

I followed the instructions in the readme, but cannot seem to get it to work.
May 24, 2007 at 2:34 AM
I also tried to install it with 2.0 RC and could not get it to work. I am very excited to use this and have needed something like this.

thanks,
Jim
Coordinator
May 24, 2007 at 5:30 PM
I'm psyched about trying to get this working with TP 2.0 as well, and am trying to find time to work on upgrading it. Hopefully it should be as simple as updating the reference DLLs in Stratman\Web\VSTS\lib with the corresponding ones from the 2.0 version of TP and updating a few function calls.
May 24, 2007 at 6:03 PM
Thanks. If you need any help i will be glad to contribute the little bit of time i have to it. I really need this for my consulting company and was about ready to write something similar until i did a google search on tfs time log or something like that. Ironically you just put up your code. I also am tying in a tray app to record time. I was thinking about creating a new work item type also, but we will see about that. I haven't decided exactly what to do, but like the potential of your stuff.

thanks,
Jim
Coordinator
May 25, 2007 at 6:37 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the offer. I've added you as a developer to this project in case you ever want to commit anything.
May 28, 2007 at 5:35 AM
I don't know how far you have come along with getting this to work with 2.0, but i have started to try and get it to work, but i am running into an error with TPWA.dll since it is still referencing old version of devBiz.Sdlc.Tfs, Version=1.0.2641.17263. Am I missing some source somehwere to re-compile this TPWA.dll so that it references the new version of devBiz.Sdlc.Tfs that i have on my system? Thanks.
Coordinator
Jun 1, 2007 at 7:15 PM
OK, I've just committed the code that makes this project compatible with the latest TeamPlain RC and have created a new release. Have at it and let me know if you run into any problems.
Jun 4, 2007 at 7:51 PM
Thanks for updating that. I got it installed and am not getting the same errors, but when i click on the TimeSheets tab which goes to explorer.aspx, i am getting this error: "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted". I noticed that there is also another thread about this error. I have it installed using workgroup mode and not domain controller. What needs to be done to make this work with this type of edition? I can help, but would need some guidance as to what needs to change.

thanks,
Jim
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2007 at 9:15 PM
It's definitely possible, but just requires some work. In the database, all of the timesheet entries are inserted based on the user's SID. In the code, we rely on an LDAP lookup to get the actual information (username, display name, email, etc.) corresponding to that SID when we display things. What needs to happen is that anytime we construct a DirectoryEntry object and use the LDAP schema (i.e. DirectoryEntry userInfo = new DirectoryEntry("LDAP://<SID=...>");), we need to instead invoke a function that uses the WinNT schema when constructing the DirectoryEntry object in the event where a SID corresponds to a local, instead of a domain, object. This sounds trivial, but is actually kind of a pain in the ass since the WinNT schema doesn't provide a quick, easy way to do a query based on a SID: instead, you have to enumerate all of the local security principals on the machine and iterate through them until you find one with a matching SID. All of this is possible, but it just requires time from someone, which I won't be able to devote in the immediate future because of the demands of my real job. If this is something you think you'd be interested in working on, have a look through the code and feel free to ask me questions.
Jun 4, 2007 at 9:34 PM
Yes I could help get this to work. I already got it to work somewhat just by forcing windows authentication and then getting the Request.LogonUserIdentity.Name of the Windows User logged in. I don't like it like that, but understand where i need to change the code to make it work. I will look at how to enumerate the accounts to get more info than just the name. Also i am trying to figure out how to get the web service to work. I will post that on another thread for clarification.

thanks,
Jim