Version for TFS 2008

Dec 18, 2007 at 1:39 PM
Hi Guys, what about plans for version compatible with TFS WebUI 2008?
Dec 19, 2007 at 7:51 PM
It only takes a few edits. Just download the source and change the links to match the new ones javascript on click method on <A HREF="#" > tags and compile. It works fine after that for me.
Feb 18, 2008 at 9:55 AM
Hi Trendoid,

Could you give more clarity on this source code change...where and which line ?

trendoid wrote:
It only takes a few edits. Just download the source and change the links to match the new ones javascript on click method on <A HREF="#" > tags and compile. It works fine after that for me.

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:16 AM
Any updates on TFS 2008

Just upgraded and wish to extend capability with this tool.

Some indication of Plan would be ideal.

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:42 AM
Edited Mar 4, 2008 at 12:12 PM
DavidTuke, I also intend to develop additional features for Timesheet, perhaps a collaborative work would be easier/faster?
Mar 4, 2008 at 11:42 AM
Edited Mar 4, 2008 at 12:12 PM
Sooo.... i still don't get it, how do i make Timesheet work on TFS2008?
Can anyone please write a more detailed description of what code modifications should be done?
Mar 14, 2008 at 4:20 PM
I am very interested in the steps involved for getting TFS TimeSheet to work with TFS2008. The rather vague suggestion of modifying a javascript on click event for on a <A HREF="#" > tag not all that helpful.

If i figure out the steps on my own i will gladly post a walkthrough on how to do it.

TIA,
Mike
Mar 26, 2008 at 7:54 PM
I have a version of this working if the owners of this project would like it. It involved updating assemblies for the tfs timesheet project to VSTS2008, as well as updating the Controls and Masters components of the UI sections to be compatible with the TFSWeb 2008 components.
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2008 at 9:20 PM
That would be great. Just zip it up and send it to lstratman at gmail.com and I'll merge it into the repository and create a new release.
Mar 28, 2008 at 9:09 AM
Hi guys,

I just read that noyceb already got TFS Timesheet to work with TFS 2008. Seems as if I should have read that earlier, lol. Actually I did quite the same yesterday. Since I am not really into TFS development itself, I started with getting the Visual Studio 2008 SDK just to make sure I was using the most up to date assemblies. ;-)

I put up a little step-by-step instruction set on what to do to get it to work in my blog at http://blog.trimagination.de/2008/03/28/tfs-timesheet-on-team-system-web-access/.

However, there's something I cannot get to work. If I click on a workitem link from within the TFS Timesheet application, the workitem opens up as expected, but the main window gets cleared and only says [object]. Why's that? Trendoid mentioned something about javascripts to update, but I don't quite know what he's talking about.

Maybe that might have something to do with the fact, that our TSWA is not running in an own website but within a virtual directory. Actually this is why I had to tinker around the sources of TFS Timesheet anyway.

So sum it up, there are a couple of ToDo's:
  • Making the source independent on whether it is installed in a website or a virtual directory
  • Creating a setup that automates every necessary step
  • Implement setting up the database and the web app as two features in the setup to comply with single AND dual server deployments
  • Create a user manual that shows how to actually use this software ;-)

Honestly... I had problems with subscribing to the WorkItemChangedEvent event. This is why there was no connection between the workitems and the TFS Timesheet database. That also explained why nothing really worked. But since I didn't know what to expect, I only found out after getting the event subscription to work. ;-)
Apr 2, 2008 at 1:13 PM
Edited Apr 2, 2008 at 1:19 PM
Thanks Tronex, great guide.
Apr 4, 2008 at 6:01 PM
Sorry for the delay, but I have been fixing a couple of bugs we have encountered. First, the security used for the timesheets were bound to the windows identity from Request.LogonUserIdentity...; so I updated this to reflect the identity of the WebAccess user and implemented a helper to get the windows sid from active directory so things would wire up properly in the scenario where windows impersonation was not used as the authentication method.

Lastly, I am still having some issues with the integration service that maybe someone can shed some light on. The service was registered successfully, however, work items are changing but the update is not happening in tfstimesheet. For the record, we are using the Scrum for Team System template, and web access 2008; anonymous access is turned on, and tfsweb is installed on a different server than tfs. Once this issue is resolved, I would be much more comfortable sharing the code.

Cheers.
May 13, 2008 at 11:36 AM
HI All,
I just followed the steps mentioned in the neatly-done-Tronex guide and I did the configuration as mentioned. The timesheet tab did appear on my web access, but when I click on this tab, I get this message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." . Can anybody tell where I could have faulted?
Also are there any other configuration or settings to be done, like filling up any workitem with few hours of efforts? or any other things?
Regards, Shabariji.
May 13, 2008 at 1:54 PM
HI All,
I just followed the steps mentioned in the neatly-done-Tronex guide and I did the configuration as mentioned. The timesheet tab did appear on my web access, but when I click on this tab, I get this message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." . Can anybody tell where I could have faulted?
Also are there any other configuration or settings to be done, like filling up any workitem with few hours of efforts? or any other things?
Regards, Shabariji.
Coordinator
May 14, 2008 at 12:03 PM
There's an "official" version of TFS Timesheet for TSWA 2008 now in the releases section.  Please download and install that:  follow the instructions in the readme.txt file and post a message here if you encounter any problems.
May 20, 2008 at 9:00 AM
I am still having some major problems:
1. When I try to manually type in the time I spent on a Workitem, I am getting errors. When I enter "1:00" for example, it is accepted, if I enter "0:30", I get "Error converting data type nvarchar to numeric.".
2. When I click on a workitem, a new window pops up containing the workitem, but the mainwindow behind gets white and only contains the text "[object]" in the upper left.
3. There are workitems like bugs that don't have the possibility of entering any planned times by default. In those cases, I cannot enter values into TFS Timesheet, because it always says "You have allocated 1:00 too much to the bug (...)".

Also, there is still no manual that explains how to actually use TFS Timesheet. Maybe I am overseeing something, but in case not: There are people in here who really use this tool. Could you guys write a little How-To please? ;-)