Clicking Timesheet tab can not find the "Add Work Items" button

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:16 PM
Hi, lstratman

I can not find the "Add Work Items" button when clicking the Timesheet tab, the message is "Invalid attempt to read when no data is present."

My computer enviornment are "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server", "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team System Web Access" and "Sql Server 2005"

Please help me to fix it, thanks.
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2008 at 3:24 PM
Generally this means that something's not right with the database. Can you confirm that the TfsTimesheet database has been setup correctly, the database is accessible from the TSWA web server, and that the connection string in the web.config file has the correct server name/credentials?
Apr 24, 2008 at 6:43 PM
Thanks, lstratman

I have fixed the problems of "Invalid attempt to read when no data is present" and "Clicking Timesheet tab can not find the "Add Work Items" button ", it is IIS security setting, need check on "Integrate Windows Authentication".

But now, I met another problem, it is "WorkItems will not be saved in db table WorkItemTotals", I read your the latest version codes (TFSTimesheet-3.02-src.zip ), save record to WorkItemTotals should be done by the sql procedure "uspUPDTimeOnWorkItem", and there is a webservice method "public void Notify(string eventXml, string tfsIdentityXml)" in "UpdateTimesheet.asmx.cs" use the sql procdure, but in web page no file load the webservice method "Notify(string eventXml, string tfsIdentityXml)".

Can you please tell me how to do it.

Thanks
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2008 at 12:22 AM
Nothing in the timesheet project invokes that web service. That web service is invoked by the TFS event handling mechanism every time a work item is updated: when the "completed" hours for a work item change, the web service will call that stored procedure and store the updated values in the database. In order for this web service to be invoked, you need to subscribe to the WorkItemChanged event via the BisSubscribe.exe tool. Instructions on how to create that subscription are in the readme.txt file in the last step.
Apr 29, 2008 at 6:39 PM
Thanks lstratman, now I can use the timesheet comfortable.

I have figue out the problem of "WorkItems will not be saved in db table WorkItemTotals", acutally when you fill the time of "Completed work (hours)" for a task window in TFS, then click "save" the workitem will be added to the table WorkItemTotals.
May 21, 2008 at 4:28 PM
Hi Istratman,

I am having the same issue:
every time I go to the Timesheet page it gives me "Invalid attempt to read when no data is present." error.

Here is my configuration:
  • Server1: TFS 2005, SQL 2005 (TFS Dbs + Timesheet DB)
  • Server2: TFS Web Access 2005 (Forms Authentication Mode, Port 9090) + TfsTimesheet

I checked that SQL 2005 on Server1 allows remote connections and accessible from Server2. I checked that connection string set up in web.config file contains correct settings server/db/credentials.
I tried to check "Integrate Windows Authentication" but it did not help.

I checked TFS subscription - when I set CompletedWork field it goes added to TfsTimesheet db. I assume UpdateTimesheet service works OK.
Here are web.config settings for TimesheetAdministrators and TimesheetWorkAmountFields keys:
    <add key="TimesheetAdministrators" value="someAdministrator"/>
    <add key="TimesheetWorkAmountFields" value="Microsoft.VSTS.Scheduling.CompletedWork"/>

Can you please advise what to look next to fight the problem?
Aug 19, 2008 at 1:35 PM
Hi MikKardash,
    Have you managed to find any solution?
    This issue is becoming very annoying for us (We have TFS 2005 + Timesheet working in one installation, but same TFS 2008 + Time sheet is not working)

Any help is appreciated.

Sanjay

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2008 at 5:04 PM
I believe that this is related to an issue with the authenticated user's SID not matching up with what TFS has stored in the database for that user.  I fixed this issue for my office install a day or two ago and just committed a fix to the SCC repository.  Could one of you two build and deploy the current source code and tell me if this solves your problem?  If so, I will create a new set of release binaries.
Aug 20, 2008 at 10:07 PM
Hi Sanjay,

Unfortunatelly, I had no time to analyze this issue since then.
I think I will play with the code when I have some free time. However, I am on a tight schedule right now.

Best Regards,
Mik
--

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:54 PM, sanjayzalke <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi MikKardash,
Have you managed to find any solution?
This issue is becoming very annoying for us (We have TFS 2005 + Timesheet working in one installation, but same TFS 2008 + Time sheet is not working)

Any help is appreciated.

Sanjay

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (tfstimesheet@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email tfstimesheet@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:01 AM
Hi Istratman,

I have the same problem as above. Your fix seems to be OK, but I'm unable to build the downloaded project (as long as it wants me to connect to tfs03.codeplex.com). Would you please generate a patch or something, containing this change? And it would be great if you also change 2005 version in the same way (your change impacts 2008 version only).

Kind regards,
Lucjan

Sep 24, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Hi,

I had the same issue  "Invalid attempt to read when no data is present.". I just built and deployed your latest changes (changeset 22227) and it fixed the problem for me. This is running agains 2008.

Cheers,

Colin