One person per workitem?

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:27 AM
Hi,

I need to confirm how this tracks elapsed time updates to a workitem.

Each time the workitem changed event calls your web service, do you check the completed work field and compare it to the previous value? hence giving you the delta.

Also, has your assumption has been one person per workitem?

A tool such as "TFS Working On" - not only updates System.VSTS.Scheduling.CompletedWork (when configured to do so) but also writes a time stamp into the workitem history.

I see your web package as an ideal tool for timesheet reviews, fix-ups and admin once an elapsed time tool has been used during the week to update the relevant workitems.

These fields won't be exposed in our workitem templates, but available only for review and amendments during the week through your package.

Also, if an entry is altered, do you write a changelog into the workitem history - so these can be seen?

I look forward to hearing from you.

thanks

Andy Welch
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2009 at 12:02 PM
Yes, when the completed work value in a work item is changed, we compare it to the previous value and add that amount to the day's total for that person.  We do not make the assumption of one work item per person:  whoever makes a change to the completed work gets that amount to assigned to them.  If you want to only have time entry available through the timesheet, you can create completed work fields for the work item template but not any user-facing corresponding field in the UI.  Then, as time is entered through the timesheet, the corresponding work item would have a history entry added.
Apr 1, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Thanks for your response Luke, excellent info. That answers all my question!

Regards

Andy Welch.

NZ

Sent: Thursday, 2 April 2009 1:03 a.m.
To: Andy Welch
Subject: Re: One person per workitem? [tfstimesheet:51920]

Yes, when the completed work value in a work item is changed, we compare it to the previous value and add that amount to the day's total for that person. We do not make the assumption of one work item per person: whoever makes a change to the completed work gets that amount to assigned to them. If you want to only have time entry available through the timesheet, you can create completed work fields for the work item template but not any user-facing corresponding field in the UI. Then, as time is entered through the timesheet, the corresponding work item would have a history entry added.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (tfstimesheet@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email tfstimesheet@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com