TFS2010 Support

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Are there any plans to support TFS 2010?  If so what is the timing?

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Add me to the list of people interested in an answer to this question.  

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM
I am also interested regarding this problem. We're gonna update to TFS2010 ASAP.
Apr 26, 2010 at 9:11 AM

When can we expect this to be out, now that TFS 2010 is officially out. Have been using this really well and not planning to upgrade to TFS 2010.

Please advice its availability

Regards

Abishek.R.Srikaanth

May 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM
I would also like to know if 2010 support is in the plan.
Developer
May 28, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Me too.

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:31 PM

somebody's got to migrate to TFS 2010?

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:27 PM
2010 support would be awesome!
Jul 9, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Count me in too. Would love to see 2010 support for this timesheet application.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Yes support for TFS2010 would be good.

Is this project alive? No responses for quite some time.

Thanks.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I'm still holding out hope that this project will be updated for TFS 2010. We liked that it worked in TFS 2008. We are migrating to TFS 2010 over the next 2-3 months to be completed by November and having TFS 2010 support for the timesheet is high up on our list of requirements.

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM

We have successfully ported portions of the functionality of TFSTimesheet to TFS2010.  We only use the project for basic time entry (no approvals, etc.).  We should be posting something to the project soon if anyone is interested.

-dw

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I am at the tail end of migrating to TFS2010 and would be VERY interested in seeing what you've done.  The time tracking module is something I've left until the end and figured I would either have to rewrite it myself or look at other options.  Can you give me/us a date for when you will release it?  if possible could you send it to me directly?

Cheers!
Aug 11, 2010 at 2:54 PM
Edited Dec 23, 2010 at 2:22 PM

We should have something posted this month.  The developer who did all the work wanted to clean it up a bit before posting to the project.

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Excellent!  Thanks!

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Definitely interested as well. Looking forward to the posting. Quite possibly we will be able to share back any improvements/additions we will make to it.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:53 AM
Edited Aug 18, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Hi!

I am also working to make version for TFS2010.

My draft version works without adding wi from timesheet and without admin page.

We would contribute to the common solution.

Let's make new project!

Mail me via codeplex.

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM

I have added the Source and Install we are using for 2010 to the following Issue:

http://tfstimesheet.codeplex.com/workitem/17953

We only use the basic time tracking capabilities, so I don’t know if approvals  or the link between completed and remaining work fields are functional.

I hope this helps someone.

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:09 PM

There are a couple of reference to TFS 2008 Web Access in the install instructions "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team System Web Access\Web".  Is this just an oversight?

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Oops. Yes, the folder changed in 2010 to this one:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Application Tier\Web Access\Web".
Need to be changed for items 1 and 4. Item 5 is currently not working.

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I'm having trouble getting this running.  I have it all installed and have debugged it and found that it's not loading the configuration correctly.  The custom section is null as well as the connection string.  Anyone else having the same issue?

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:13 PM
Edited Aug 30, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Hi Lupine,

for the readme:

item 3: I cahnged 'TfsWorkItemTracking' to  'Tfs_DefaultCollection',  is it correct?

item5: I can register the webservice by using:  BisSubscribe.exe /eventType WorkItemChangedEvent /deliveryType Soap /address http://localhost:8080/Services/UpdateTimesheet.asmx /collection http://localhost:8080/tfs/DefaultCollection

After installation,  I can view the page, but I can't save the hours to timesheet db table. please help figure out the problem.

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Has anyone got this running on windows 2008 64 bit?

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Does TFS 2010 version work with emc Scrum v3 process template?

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I’m not aware of any dependencies that the Timesheet addin has on a particular template, so it should work.

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:33 PM

DOH.  I got it running.  I was editing the web.config with texpad (a 32 bit app) and therefore was editing the wrong version of the web.config.  That's why it didn't pick up the changes.  Editing in notepad fixed the problem.

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Thanks lupine!

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM
Edited Nov 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM

So now does it work with TFS2010 RTM and Windows 2008 64 bit?

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM
Edited Dec 23, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Yes, as far as I know.

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Hi lupine
Does work with two collections? (TFS2010)

Thanks

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM
Edited Dec 23, 2010 at 2:23 PM

It only supports working with one collection because of the original database design. When installing you have to specify the name of the collection database in the SQL install scripts.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Hi Lupine et al,

We had TFS Timesheet running on a TFS 2005 server SP1 until late last year. It worked perfectly for our needs especially to report Timesheet entries per user on a daily basis for reporting and budgetting purposes.  We did not use the approval process.  Our internal process to update time spent on a workitem was to update the completed work & remaning work fields in VS2010 as work is completed.  When a team member forgets to update the item on the day and adds it the next day, they would then go into TFS Timesheet web interface and swap the hours to the appropriate day.  Like I said this process worked well for our reporting needs.

In December we finally did the migration from TFS 2005 to TFS 2010 using the Migration approach (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd631912.aspx).  Prior to the migration I had seen this post and was heartened to find that TFS Timesheet had been updated to work with TFS 2010.  However post migration and following all the instructions in the Readme.txt with the release, this discussion and on http://tfstimesheet.codeplex.com/workitem/17953 we were still not able to get it going. Incidentally we use the CMMI process template.  I've made the required changes in the configuration file to map to the process template. 

I did notice the following comments in workitem 17953 & the Readme.txt file.  From this I inferred that updating time entries via TFS Timesheet web interface did not update the work item in TFS 2010 Server. 

NOTE: Here are some things that we DO NOT use so they may not work:
* As you increase or decrease timesheet values for a particular work item, the completed work and remaining work fields in the work items are updated accordingly
* Timesheet approvals

NOTE: this step is only required when automatic addition of entries is needed. It fails on TFS 2010.

We do not really need the entire timesheet functionality working a this stage though that would be great.  It is sufficient if a user updates TFS via Visual Studio 2010 everyday and these entries are available in TfsTimeSheet.TimeSheetEntriesPerUser View for extraction and reporting. 

My questions really are:

1) will updating the Work Item in VS2010 to increase the completed time allow reporting via above view as before?

2) If not, when others have reported that they are using the TFS Timesheet successfully in 2010 are they really only using the TFS Timesheet for all time capture without the need for syncing up between TFS 2010 work item data & Time sheet data?

Any clarifications or help to get this working in TFS 2010 will be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Nara

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Sorry for the slow response (and not being of much help). See below…

-dw

Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 6:47 PM
To: Wolf, David
Subject: Re: TFS2010 Support [tfstimesheet:72418]

Hi Lupine et al,

We had TFS Timesheet running on a TFS 2005 server SP1 until late last year. It worked perfectly for our needs especially to report Timesheet entries per user on a daily basis for reporting and budgetting purposes. We did not use the approval process. Our internal process to update time spent on a workitem was to update the completed work & remaning work fields in VS2010 as work is completed. When a team member forgets to update the item on the day and adds it the next day, they would then go into TFS Timesheet web interface and swap the hours to the appropriate day. Like I said this process worked well for our reporting needs.

In December we finally did the migration from TFS 2005 to TFS 2010 using the Migration approach (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd631912.aspx). Prior to the migration I had seen this post and was heartened to find that TFS Timesheet had been updated to work with TFS 2010. However post migration and following all the instructions in the Readme.txt with the release, this discussion and on http://tfstimesheet.codeplex.com/workitem/17953 we were still not able to get it going. Incidentally we use the CMMI process template. I've made the required changes in the configuration file to map to the process template.

I did notice the following comments in workitem 17953 & the Readme.txt file. From this I inferred that updating time entries via TFS Timesheet web interface did not update the work item in TFS 2010 Server.

NOTE: Here are some things that we DO NOT use so they may not work:
* As you increase or decrease timesheet values for a particular work item, the completed work and remaining work fields in the work items are updated accordingly
* Timesheet approvals

NOTE: this step is only required when automatic addition of entries is needed. It fails on TFS 2010.

We do not really need the entire timesheet functionality working a this stage though that would be great. It is sufficient if a user updates TFS via Visual Studio 2010 everyday and these entries are available in TfsTimeSheet.TimeSheetEntriesPerUser View for extraction and reporting.

My questions really are:

1) will updating the Work Item in VS2010 to increase the completed time allow reporting via above view as before?[Wolf] I don’t know, as we don’t use this functionality.

2) If not, when others have reported that they are using the TFS Timesheet successfully in 2010 are they really only using the TFS Timesheet for all time capture without the need for syncing up between TFS 2010 work item data & Time sheet data?[Wolf] I don’t know. No one else has mentioned it.

Any clarifications or help to get this working in TFS 2010 will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Nara

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Thanks Lupine!  I'll see if my dev team can look into this and get the remaining bits working in 2010.  We'd especially like to use the bi-directional update between TFS Timesheet and TFS workitems.

Will keep you posted if we have much luck.

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Any update on the 2010 bits? Thanks so much.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Sorry.  No progress made.  Other priorities have overtaken us so will not be looking into this for a while atleast.  Will definitely post back to this thread if we make any progress in the future.

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Has anyone made any advances in getting the automatic/bi-directional updates implemented for TFS 2010?  I have the source code and a test server, but I can't get the remote debugger working to figure out what the real problem is.  I'm fighting cross-domain and VPN issues.  If the config file has <updateWorkItemsFromTimesheet enabled="true"/>, then it just doesn't "do" anything, not even save to the TfsTimesheet database.  If it is set to false, it saves, but, of course, the work item hours are not updated.

One thing I've noticed, too, is that to subscribe to the WorkItemChangedEvents you have to use http://localhost:8080/tfs/web/Services/UpdateTimesheet.asmx and not http://localhost:8080/Services/UpdateTimesheet.asmx like it is for TFS 2008.  Check it out on your TFS server by browsing to the service.  This achieves the auto-update from the work item into the timesheet.  See the final comment in this discussion, or it's copied below.

"For TFS2010 you should use /Collection flag not /Server:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Tools>BisSubscribe.exe /eventType WorkItemChangedEvent /deliveryType Soap /address http://srv:8080/tfs/web/Services/UpdateTimesheet.asmx /Collection http://srv:8080/tfs/MyCollection"

However, it would be nice to have the timesheet update the work item as well... just in case.  We all know not everyone inputs their hours into the work items consistently/daily.  :)  Using something like TFS Working On could help with that though.

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I had a heck of a time getting this working the way we had it in 2008.. thought I would share some of the things I had to do:

• Initially I could not save time against work items. I tracked this back to how the work items were being added to the timesheet. 
    • The 'Add Work Items' screen is supposed to have a drop-down box where you can pick the type of time to be used (entered in the web.config under the <timeAmounts> area)
      • When I would try to add work items, that drop-down was being pushed off the screen by the work item query grid, but still allowing me to add the work items with no "time type" associated.
      • To fix this, you can either:
        • correct the Add.aspx page's html to stop pushing the drop-down off the screen
        • move the drop-down to the top of the page
        • change the Add.aspx.cs to either hard-code or always take the first item in the <timeAmounts> collection. (I did this because I only ever needed one time type, and it was a pain to keep selecting it every time I wanted to add a work item.)

• Clicking on the work item in the TimeSheet entries 'main' page would not pop-up the work item in a new window like it did in the 2008 version.
    • I tracked this down to a missing method in the \Resources\WindowHelper.js file. I couldn't figure out the 'new way' to do it in 2010, so I just added the following into the script and it seems to work.

// Added for 2010 compatibility
WindowHelpers.openWorkItemEditor= function(url, name)
{
    var _params = new Array();

_params.push("scrollbars=yes");
    _params.push("resizable=yes");
    _params.push("status=yes");

if(JSConfig.showBrowserToolbar)
        _params.push("toolbar=yes");

return WindowManager.openWindow(url, name, _params);
};

// Added for 2010 compatibility
WindowHelpers.openWorkItemEditorWithId= function(id)
{
    return this.openWorkItemEditor(CommonUrls.WorkItemEditor + "?id=" + id);
};

I do not use the admin/approval screens and have enforceConsistency set to false, so I can't help with those features. When I enter times in the timesheet, it DOES update the associated work items, so I'm happy with that! Hope this helps anyone out there still struggling, and thanks to Stratman / others for their work on getting this migrated to 2010!

-Matt

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:43 AM

How to delete work item already added to the timesheet by mistack?

May 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Edited May 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM

After some struggle, i got it to work with TFS 2010.

Here are some writeups on my experience and some enhancements i did to the plugin, so that it can be used with multiple collections and projects with a manger assigned to each project for approvals.

http://blog.floatingant.com/2012/04/timesheets-with-tfs.html

http://blog.floatingant.com/2012/04/timesheets-with-tfs-continued.html